Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Shell Seekers - Rosemunde Pilcher

Phew...just finished reading this mammoth book, 600+ pages.  I thoroughly enjoyed the story but it took a few (long) chapters to get into it but when I did it was engrossing.  I have read as big if not bigger books but this one would have benefitted from being shorter.  The characters were believable, some likable, some not so much but all evoked an emotion of some sort - product of good writing skills.  

When I was reading it at the back of my mind was Angela Landsbury (in the movie) I believe meeting one of the characters (no elaboration here as I don't want to spoil the book), this didn't gel with the novel.  I hate it when moviemakers think they can improve on a successful story.  Would like to see the movie with Venessa Redgrave, I understand this is more true to the novel. 

I would have awarded 5 stars, the story was excellent, the descriptions were very well written and beautifully descriptive but some were just too long therefore I have awarded 4 1/2 stars.  However I would still recommend this as a very good read.  I am looking forward to hearing what my fellow bookclubbers make of this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment